Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Checking on URL's for credibility!

I found an Ah HA which I did not know existed when I prepared to teach and Introduction to Research for an Academic Writing class last week. If you have not discovered www.alexa.com...you need too TAKE A LOOK! Did you know that you can go to this search engine and research the background of a website found on Google or any other database just by clicking on the URL and pasting in the website in their search field. YOU or your students can find out who is hosting, information about the person or organization that created the site giving you an overview...great way for determining whether the site is credible and worth your time.

3 comments:

Nelson's teachings said...

This is awesome!!! I'm excited to use this with my research assignments to have students check credibility. What a find:)

Anonymous said...

Great find--a good tool for checking credibility.

Karen said...

Excellent follow-up to our Search Engine session! I'll add it to the Search Engines page on the wiki. Thanks!